Monday, December 2, 2013

DANCING HOAR




This image was taken at Dancing Deer Ranch in NW Montana Thanksgiving day 2013. The name "Dancing Hoar" is me fooling around with word play. Something I enjoy very much.

It was 20 degrees outside and what you see in the photograph are aspen trunks surrounded by scrub brush covered in lacy ice crystals. This is what is known as hoar frost. It is pronounced "whore". I often have no idea where the ideas for titles come from. They just pop into my head, for better or worse. For those who may not know, hoar frost develops when the temperatures are below freezing and the moisture content of the air is very high. The effect is very magical.

The image is naturally black and white with just a tinge of brownish orange which is provided by the fallen aspen leaves on the forest floor, a lovely effect.

The joy such natural beauty brings to me and the privilege of living virtually within it is what I was giving thanks for this day. Later I gave thanks for the T-Bone steak I BBQ'd and the Bombay Sapphire I sipped.

I also gave thanks for my new photographer's assistant Miss Molly Montana.

Photographer's assistant Molly Montana
 To follow by e-mail use the box form top right.

©Kinsey Barnard

No comments:

Post a Comment