Saturday, December 14, 2013

KEEP ME CLOSE



It's the holidays and if ever there was a time to become maudlin this is it.

The above image is of a Big Horn ewe and her baby enjoying the warm sun, high up in the craggy peaks of Japser National Park. If you've not been, Jasper is a wonder. It is my favorite of the parks in Alberta. The opportunities to see wildlife are just the best.

For me, this photograph is the embodiment of the love between mother and child. I lost my mother in 2002. That was when I lost her physical presence. I had really lost her several years earlier to Alzheimer's. My mother was my best friend. We shared a wit and humor that I've not known with anyone else. She used to love to listen to stories of my adventures. I wish I had asked more questions about hers. I now have so many questions that will never be answered.

I was her youngest child. I think there is a special bond between a mother an her youngest. There certainly was between us. Until the day she died she was able to recognize me as her "baby". Despite the Alzheimer's she would sometimes reach up, hold my face in her hands and with all the love in the world say "You are my baby". If that's not proof love can transcend just about anything I don't know what is.

When I look at this photograph I don't see a Big Horn with her baby. I see my mother and I and I whisper softly"Mama,  Keep Me Close".

I will be using this blog to introduce "new" images , along with stories and musings to go with them. I will also revisit some of my favorites. If you're interested you can subscribe by e-mail. There is a box top right for the purpose.  Not to worry, I never see the addresses nor know who has subscribed. I value your privacy as much as my own. Enjoy!

©Kinsey Barnard

No comments:

Post a Comment